University of California, Irvine
Department of Computer Science
I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at UC Irvine. I am also a director of Bio-Inspired Architecture and Systems (BIASLab). My group is working on a wide range of practical problems in the area of bio-inspired computing, machine learning, computer architecture, and embedded systems. Our research goal is to design real-time, robust, secure cognitive computing system.
I received my Ph.D. from the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the UC San Diego. I have a stellar record of publication with over 120 papers in top conferences/journals. My contribution has led to a new direction on brain-inspired hyperdimensional computing that enables ultra-efficient and real-time learning and cognitive support. My research was also the main initiative in opening up multiple industrial and governmental research programs. My research has been recognized with several awards, including the Bernard and Sophia Gordon Engineering Leadership Award, the Outstanding Researcher Award, and the Powell Fellowship Award. I also received the Best Doctorate Research from UCSD and best paper award in Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE), and several best paper nomination awards at multiple top conferences including Design Automation Conference (DAC) in 2019 and 2020, Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE) in 2020, and International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD) in 2020.
I am currently mentoring a group of 15 PhD students. Please see our team members here.
Plan to talk CS 151 and CS 147 in Fall 2023
I'll be teaching two undergraduate courses in the Fall 2023: CS151 and CS 147. Both courses will make students familiar with concept of machine learning in area of digital logic design and embedded software. The courses are highly recommended for students who look for internship or job related to AI. Students with no hardware background are also encouraged and welcome to enroll in these courses.
- In CS 151, we will see the latest developments in hardware and relation of that to AI chips.
- In CS 147, students will perform hands on projects related to embedded software, including implementation of emerging AI algorithms on real platform.
PhD and Postdoc Opening
I am looking for multiple self-motivated Ph.D. students and Postdocs to join my group at UC Irvine. The positions are in the following areas:
- Circuit/Architecture: Design novel memory circuits and architectures to accelerate machine learning and big data applications. A candidate should have a strong background in circuit design and have a deep understanding of computer architecture and emerging memory technologies. Specifically, student will work on a project related to in-memory computing.
- Cryptography & Security: Develop theory and algorithms for lightweight cryptography for secure machine learning or/and secure computing. A suitable candidate should have good understanding of Homomorphic Encryption mathematics and AI theory and should be familiar with cryptography tools.
- Quantum Computing: Designing new quantum algorithms for machine learning. A candidate should be expert in quantum mathematics and algorithm and have experience of using Quantum tools.
To learn about our research, please read the following two recent papers:
- [PDF] P. Poduval, H. Alimohamadi, A. Zakeri, F. Imani, H. Najafi, T. Givargis, M. Imani, “GrapHD: Graph-based Hyperdimensional Memorization for Brain-Like Cognitive Learning”, Frontiers in Neuroscience, 2022
- [PDF] Z. Zou, Y. Kim, F. Imani, H. Alimohamadi, R. cammarota, M. Imani, “Edge-based Hyperdimensional Learning System with Brain-Like Neural Adaptation”, The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis (SC), 2021
- [PDF] Z. Zou, H. Chen, P. Poduval, Y. Kim, M. Imani, E. Sadredini, R. Cammarota, and M. Imani, "BioHD: an efficient genome sequence search platform using HyperDimensional memorization,” In Proceeding of Annual International Symposium on Computer Archtiecture (ISCA), 2022.
Open Source Libraries
Our Lab (BIASLab) released the first fully documented open-source library for Brain-inspired Hyperdimensional computing.
March 2023: Four papers accepted in GLSVLSI 2023 conference!
March 2023: A collaborative paper accepted in Advanced Artificial Intelligence Journal!
Feb 2023: Three papers accepted in DAC 2023 conference!
Jan 2023: three paper accepted in GOMACTECH 2023!
Dec 2022: Six papers accepted in DATE 2023 conference!
Aug 2022: Serving in ISCA TPC!
Aug 2022: Two papers accepted in ICCD 2022 conference!
July 2022: Four papers accepted in ICCAD 2022 conference! Congratulation to my students, Yang, Hanning, Mariam!
Jun 2022: Our EventHD paper is accepted in Frontiers in Neuroscience.
Jun 2022: Our special session in ESWEEK conference got accepted!
Jun 2022: Serving in ICCAD TPC!
May 2022: Honored to be selected as DARPA Riser!
May 2022: Our paper accepted in Scientific Report!
April 2022: My PhD Student, Mariam, received NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Award! Congratulation Mariam!
March 2022: Our BioHD paper is accepted in ISCA 2022! Congratulation to my PhD students Kevin and Hanning!
Jan 2022: Five papers are accepted in DAC 2022! Congratulation to my students, Hanning, Ali, and Yang, Mariam, and Danny!
Jan 2022: Our DATE 2022 paper is received the best paper award! Congratulation to my PhD student, Yang Ni!
Jan 2022: Our GrapHD paper accepted in Frontiers in Neuroscience!
Jan 2022: Our DATE 2022 paper nominated for the best paper award!
Jan 2022: Two papers accepted in DATE 2022 conference!
Nov 2021: Honored to Serve as ISCA 2021 TPC member!
Nov 2021: Two papers accepted in DATE 2022. Congratulation to my PhD student, Yang Ni!
Oct 2021: Accepted paper in Journal of Manufacturing Processes (Link)! Collaboration with UConn!
Oct 2021: Accepted paper in PACT 2021.
Sept 2021: Accepted paper in IEDM 2021. Hyper-Dimensional Clustering on Fabricated NVM-based Chip. Collaboration with RIT!
April 2021: Accepted paper in SC'21! Collaboration with Intel Labs.
April 2021: 3 papers accepted in ICCAD'21! collaboration with Intel Labs.
April 2021: Honored to Serve as MICRO 2021 TPC member!
Feb 2021: 5 papers accepted in DAC 2021! Collaborative paper with Intel Lab.
Nov 2020: Honored to Serve as ISCA 2021 TPC member!
Nov 2020: Honored to Serve as ICASSP 2021 TPC member!
Nov 2020: 8 papers accepted in DATE 2021 conference: 5 papers as the main PI and 3 collaborative work.
Nov 2020: A paper accepted in HPCA 2021 conference! The first end-to-end system running brain-inspired Hyperdimensional computing.
Nov 2020: Co-organizing a special session at ASP-DAC conference!
Oct 2020: A paper accepted in IEDM 2020 conference! Experimental chip using emerging non-volatile memories.
Sept 2020: Two papers accepted in ASP-DAC 2021!
Sept 2020: Our ICCAD 2020 paper nominated for the best paper award!
August 2020: A paper accepted in MICRO 2020!
August 2020: Serving as ASP-DAC 2021 TPC member!
August 2020: Serving as ISLPED Session Chair!
July 2020: Two papers accepted in ICCAD 2020!
July 2020: A paper accepted in ISLPED 2020!
July 2020: Our DATE 2020 paper nominated for the best paper award!
July 2020: Our DAC 2020 paper nominated for the best paper award!
July 2020: Joined as an assistant professor to UC Irvine, Computer Science!